30 October 2006

Things that go bump in the night

In keeping with the tradition of avoiding facing the reality of my impending exile to Siberia by engaging in anachronistic food preservation techniques, I bring you this week's instalment of "What's growing in my apartment?"

Last time we got together to chat, it was "penicillium nalgiovense," the bacteria that produce that delightfully sour taste in fermented dried sausages. I'm pleased to report that the Tuscan salami are outstanding.

This week it's "lactobacillus plantarum" performing its magic on a couple of jars of cabbage in my coat closet. Now you won't have to ask why I smell like sauerkraut the next time you see me. For those of you interested in fermenting your own kraut (and seriously, who isn't?) here are the instructions.

Next week it will be "streptococcus lactis." That's right, you heard me. Streptococcus lactis. Because it's time to make cheese...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home