08 May 2007

Good newses

Trying to walk that fine line of sharing good news while remaining humble. I'm sharing because you all are really the only ones who appreciate this stuff, as my family doesn't really understand all the crap that went into this. Anyway, here it is:

In the last two of months I've been awarded grants from IREX, MacMillan/YCIAS, Fulbright-Hays, and now the NSF. Not sure what happened between this year and last year, when I was turned down by most of these. I'm guessing my BSing skills improved significantly. All of a sudden I'm faced with the possibility that not only will there be a dissertation, it just might be the dissertation I want.

Of course, there are two drawbacks that come with this news. The first is that I will be spending 6 months next year in Belarus and hopefully Ukraine. Unfortunate because Minsk isn't exactly Paris... The second potential drawback is the fact that this makes it almost certain that I'll take a 7th year, as I'll be returning from the field right when I'd be going on the job market for 2009. Not gonna happen. Now, I can take the raised eyebrows and the whispers of the underclasses ("yeah, I hear he's been here since the Cold War..."), but what really kills me is that my Yale '0? coffee mug from R&W won't even be valid. Has anyone seen whether the '1? mugs are out yet?

-R

4 Comments:

Blogger abbey said...

congratulations, rob!! clearly those entities rotated out some lugheads incapable of appreciating your capacity. (i'm sure the very ones at Fulbright-Hays that i managed to swindle :)

5:29 PM  
Blogger amelia said...

HOLY CRAP YOU ARE A ROCK STAR!!!

seriously, though, you deserve every tiny smidgen of success and all the big ones as well.

congratulations!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

ROB!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!! That is absolutely wonderful news. Many congratulations! Can you accept all of them at once?

6:59 PM  
Blogger Julia Azari said...

wow! congratulations! 7 years is not bad for a project with lots of fieldwork. don't let the snot nosed kids get you down.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home